The AOPA has amassed a wealth of material on how pilots change as we grow older. Among other challenges aging pilots may face, decision-making skills may not be what they once were, and a brief section on decision-making caught our eye. As AOPA notes, “You have grown older and gotten wiser through experience. However, aging can make it more difficult to handle the kinds of decisions that sometimes have to be made in the cockpit.” Remedies AOPA suggests are worth exploring include:
• Spending more time doing preflight and contingency planning;
• Have a realistic Plan B and be prepared to use it;
• Get a thorough weather briefing and double-check Notams;
• Be flexible in scheduling to combat pressure to “get there”;
• Be realistic about your skills and proficiency; and
• Fly when rested.