NTSB Preliminary Reports

Selected recent general aviation and airline accidents


July 02, 2004, Hot Springs, Ark.
Piper PA-32-300

At 1043 Central daylight time, the aircraft was substantially damaged while maneuvering near Hot Springs, Ark. The Instrument-rated Private pilot/owner, the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The pilot was cleared for the ILS Runway 5 approach at Hot Springs. According to data retrived from a handheld GPS navigator, the flight approached the airport from the southwest and was abeam the final approach fix at an altitude of 3055 feet. The airplane made a series of left and right turns along the localizer until it was abeam the missed approach point at an altitude of 2536 feet. For the next two minutes and 30 seconds, the airplane continued to descend on a heading away from the airport until crashing into trees approximately five miles northeast of the airport. The crossing altitude for the final approach fix is 2300 feet, and the published missed approach procedure includes a climb to 1100 feet and a climbing right turn to 3000. A review of the pilots logbook revealed his last flight review was completed on December 13, 1999.

July 02, 2004, Tocumen, Panama
Israel Aircraft Industries 1124

The U.S.-registered Westwind jet was operating as a Part 135 air ambulance flight when it crashed into a building after departing from Tocumen International Airport (MPTY), Tocumen, Panama, at 1338 Eastern time. The airplane was destroyed by impact forces and post-crash fire; all six occupants on the airplane were fatally injured and a seventh person was fatally injured on the ground. Visual conditions prevailed and an IFR flight plan had been filed. The flight originated in Quito, Ecuador, and stopped in Tocumen for fuel. The flight was destined for Milan, Italy, via another fuel and crew-change stop at the Dulles International Airport. According to the Panama Autoridad Aeronautica Civil, the flight landed in Panama uneventfully. The flight crew requested 600 gallons of Jet A fuel, with 500 gallons added via the pressure-point fueling station and 100 gallons added to the auxiliary tank. An air traffic controller observed the airplane as it began its subsequent takeoff. He recalled that, It pitched up vertically, the nose then lowered, and the wings rocked side to side. The airplane then veered to the right and descended out of view. Ground scars were consistent with the right wing tip tank impacting the taxiway surface with the airplane in a nose-high attitude, banked 90 degrees to the horizon. The scars continued forward, with the airplane rolling onto its back, collapsing the vertical stabilizer. About 35 feet beyond the vertical stabilizer impact point, scars were observed from the left tip tank. Debris from the cockpit and forward cabin area was observed in the grass area along the wreckage path.

July 03, 2004, Cheyenne, Wyo.
Cessna T210J

At 1341 Mountain time the aircraft was substantially damaged when it collided with a fence and drainage ditch during an off-airport forced landing at Cheyenne, Wyo. The Private pilot, the sole occupant on board, received minor injuries. Visual conditions prevailed. Subsequently, the pilot stated that the engine lost power during his final approach. Post-accident examination by an FAA airworthiness inspector revealed that the bolt and nut that attaches the throttle control cable to the fuel induction was missing. On April 1, 2004, the engine had been removed and inspected for metal contamination, necessitating removing the throttle control cable from the fuel induction.

July 04, 2004, Paxton, Mass.
Cessna 150

The aircraft was substantially damaged during a forced landing in Paxton, Mass., at about 2100 local time; the Private pilot was not injured. Night visual conditions prevailed. According to an FAA inspector, the engine lost power, and the pilot force-landed about of a mile from Spencer Airports Runway 19. There was no sign of fuel leakage on either the airplane or the ground. The right fuel tank appeared to be empty, and the left fuel tank had a small, unknown quantity of fuel. When the airplane was moved into an upright position, 2.4 gallons of fuel were drained from the left wing, and 43 ounces of fuel were drained from the right wing. There was no fuel in the gascolater, and about a teaspoon of fuel was drained at the carburetor. The inspector noted the pilot stated that he might have run out of fuel. According to the airplanes owners manual, 1.75 gallons of fuel are unusable in each fuel tank.

July 05, 2004, Wilmot, N.H.
Lake LA-4-200

The amphibian was substantially damaged when it impacted terrain in Wilmot, N.H., at about 1500 local time. The Instrument-rated Private pilot was seriously injured; his passenger was fatally injured. Instrument conditions prevailed, but no flight plan was filed. The flight departed the Clinton County Airport (PLB) in Plattsburgh, N.Y., and was en route to the Concord Municipal Airport (CON) in Concord, New Hampshire. The airplane and pilot were located at about 1851 local time, at an elevation of 2490 feet on the western side of Mount Kearsarge, which has a summit of 2937 feet. An area witness reported at the time of the accident that Mount Kearsarge was obscured by a cloud layer from its summit down to about 2000 feet with lateral visibility of about 200 feet. The FAA reported the pilot did not obtain a weather briefing or file a flight plan.

July 06, 2004, Batavia, Ohio
Grumman American AA-1

At about 1500 Eastern time, the accident aircraft was substantially damaged during an attempted takeoff from the Clermont County Airport in Batavia, Ohio. Both aboard sustained minor injuries. Visual conditions prevailed. During the first attempted takeoff from Runway 22 (paved, 3568 feet), the pilot was not able to obtain enough lift. During the second attempt, witnesses observed the airplane in a steep pitch attitude. It then descended into a field and flipped over. A weight-and-balance calculation performed by an FAA inspector after the accident revealed the airplane was about 110 pounds above its maximum gross takeoff weight. In addition, the runway sloped upward, approximately 30 feet, over its full length. The weather reported at an airport about 10 miles west of the accident site at 1453 local time included calm winds.

July 06, 2004, Hailey, Idaho
Mooney M20R

The airplane was substantially damaged following a loss of control while landing at the Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN) in Hailey, Idaho, at about 1542 local time. The Private pilot and sole occupant was not injured. The pilot subsequently reported that, while on approach to Runway 31, he was keeping his speed up and landed hot due to a jet which was behind him. The pilot stated that he initially touched down in the first 300 feet of the available runway, but bounced twice. The pilot further stated, I didnt like the landing and decided to go around. The pilot reported that after the second bounce, and while still airborne, he added full power, …but nothing happened. There was no acceleration. The pilot related that the airplane subsequently settled back on the runway before sliding off the right side and impacting a taxiway sign with the inboard section of the left wing.Reported weather at SUN included wind velocity of 270 degrees at 8 knots.

July 07, 2004, Seal Beach, Calif.
Harmon Rocket II

At 0819 Pacific time, the Experimental aircraft impacted a residence following an uncontrolled descent; the airplane was destroyed by impact forces and a post-crash fire. The Airline Transport pilot, who also was the aircrafts builder and registered owner, was fatally injured; three people on the ground sustained minor injuries. A combination of instrument and visual conditions prevailed along the route, from Torrance, Calif., to Chino, Calif.; the flight was conducted under IFR. The pilot was cleared to climb to 5000 feet and the airplanes Mode C transponder return indicated 5300 feet msl before ATC lost radar contact. According to a witness, the airplane came out of 600-foot ceiling in a 75-degree nose-down attitude and impacted about 100 yards from the witnesss location. Local-area pilot weather reports (PIREPS) at the time of the accident included cloud tops at 2000 feet msl and 2200 feet msl.

July 08, 2004, Fernandina beach, Fla.
Cessna 172 RG

At 1045 Eastern time, the accident aircraft landed wheels-up at the Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport, Fernandina Beach, Fla. The airplane was being flown by the pilot during a Commercial Single Engine practical test at the time. Neither the Private pilot or the check airman were injured. Visual conditions prevailed. The airplane sustained substantial damage.

July 08, 2004, Boise, Idaho
Extra 300/L

The acrobatic airplane was destroyed after impacting terrain during maneuvering flight near Boise, Idaho, at about 1800 Mountain time. The Airline Transport pilot and sole passenger were seriously injured. Visual conditions prevailed. A witness reported that the airplane was coming out of a loop on the downside of the maneuver when it failed to pull up in time to clear the ground. The witness stated that he saw the airplane impact the ground in a slightly nose-up attitude, cartwheel after its left wing impacted the ground, then observed a cloud of dust before the aircraft came to rest inverted. The wreckage path was 345 feet long from initial ground impact to the final airplane component.

July 10, 2004, Ticonderoga, N.Y.
Piper PA-31-350

At about 0900 Eastern time, the aircraft was destroyed after impacting trees and terrain near Ticonderoga, N.Y. The 32,000-hour Airline Transport pilot and his passenger were fatally injured. Visual conditions prevailed for the flight between Waterbury-Oxford Airport (OXC), Oxford, Conn., and Ticonderoga Municipal Airport (4B6), Ticonderoga, N.Y. Weather at the nearest recorded facility, an airport about 35 nm south, at 0853, included clear skies and a visibility of 10 miles. The wreckage was located in a saddleback on the western side of Old Fort Mountain, at about 1740 feet of elevation. The top of Old Fort Mountain was between the wreckage site and the airport, and rose to about 2030 feet. The wreckage was 4.7 nautical miles southwest of the destination. The wreckage path was about 500 feet in length, with a downward angle of about 10 degrees. All major portions of the airplane were accounted for at the accident site and flight control continuity was confirmed. Both propellers exhibited severe impact damage; crankshaft continuity was confirmed on both engines

July 10, 2004, Arlington, Wash.
Starduster SA100DL Starduster SA300

At about 1735 Pacific time, the two Experimental airplanes collided while taxiing at Arlington Municipal Airport in Arlington, Washington. Visual conditions prevailedSubsequently, the pilots reported that they were to be a flight of two. Starduster SA100DL was in the lead taxiing to the runway with Starduster SA300 in trail. Because of the air show that was going on at the time, Starduster SA100DL was receiving hand signals from the temporary tower controller. The controller signaled the pilot of Starduster SA100DL to stop for other traffic, which he did. However the pilot of Starduster SA300 failed to stop, impacting the left wing of Starduster SA100DL. The latter aircraft suffered substantial damage.

July 11, 2004, Paris, Ark.
Cessna 172I

The Cessna struck several trees and subsequently impacted terrain approximately 0.42 miles east of the Paris-Subiaco Municipal Airport in Paris, Ark., at about 0530. Both the pilot and the pilot-rated passenger aboard were killed. Instrument conditions prevailed as the pair departed for a short cross-country flight. A witness near the airport said he heard the airplane but did not see it. The witness said that fog limited visibility to about 50 feet. No flight plan was on file.

July 11, 2004, Atlantic City, N.J.
Beech E95 Travel Air

The airplane was substantially damaged on impacting water while attempting to land at the Atlantic City Municipal Airport/Bader Field (AIY) in Atlantic City, N.J., at about 1215 Eastern time. The Private pilot and passenger were fatally injured. Visual conditions prevailed. A witness at the departure end of Runway 11 waiting to take off stated that he heard the pilot of the accident airplane report short final, followed by an announcement that he was going around because he had a problem. The witness observed the accident airplane flip, tail under and when it was upside down, it performed a roll back to normal attitude, before entering into a left spin. The spin did not look like a normal spin; it was more like a side-to-side, flat movement, like a falling leaf. The pilot added that he observed the landing gear in the up position, both props were turning, and there was no indication of smoke or engine failures. Another witness heard the accident pilot make a normal inbound to land radio transmission. The pilot called base-to-final, and the witness observed the airplane on a left base for Runway 11. The witness then heard the accident pilot transmit, Travel Air has a problem, we are going to climb out. The airplane spun to the left, making two revolutions before hitting the water.


Click here to view “July Accident Totals.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here