NTSB Preliminary Reports: 11/04

Selected recent general aviation and airline accidents


August 4, 2004, Mineral Wells, Texas
Piper PA-32-260

At approximately 1140 Central time, the airplane was destroyed when it departed controlled flight, impacting power lines and terrain one mile northwest of the Mineral Wells (Texas) Municipal Airport. Visual conditions prevailed for the test flight by a Commercial pilot and Private-pilot rated passenger. Both sustained fatal injuries. According to several witnesses, the accident airplane was observed flying over Runway 31 at approximately 150 feet AGL and flying rather slow. The airplane then pulled-up hard and banked to the right. and was observed to descend below the tree line. The airplane was found, inverted, in an open field, directly under power lines. A power pole, located 430 feet west of the airplane was broken. The northern power line was down.

August 10, 2004, Durango, Colo.
Mooney M20J

The aircraft was substantially damaged when it impacted the edge of a road, just prior to the approach end of Runway 01 at the Durango-Animas Air Park (5CO0), Durango, Colo., at about 1605 Mountain time. Visual conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The Private pilot and two passengers reported no injuries; a third passenger sustained minor injuries. The cross-country flight originated at Albuquerque, New Mexico, at 1440. The pilot reported that, at approximately 300 feet AGL on final approach, the airplane began to sink rapidly. The pilot said he applied full power, and barely cleared a drop-off on the approach end of the runway. He also said that the stall warning horn was sounding. The pilot said the right wing dropped, and the airplane contacted the runway and veered to the right, coming to rest off the right edge of the runway. In his statement to the FAA, the pilot said he encountered a downdraft, applied power, but didnt have enough altitude to recover.

August 13, 2004, Spanish Fork, Utah
Cessna 172P

At approximately 0730 Mountain time, the airplane was destroyed when it impacted trees and terrain while maneuvering approximately 20 miles east of Spanish Fork, Utah. Visual conditions prevailed; the pilot and one passenger on board the airplane were seriously injured. Two other passengers had minor injuries. According to one of the passengers, the airplane was flying in a canyon. As the pilot tried to pull up, the engine sputtered a little bit and struck trees. The engine sounded like it was bogging down before the tree strike.

August 13, 2004, Rose Lake, Idaho
Cessna U206G

The float-equipped airplane operating as a Part 135 on-demand charter was substantially damaged at about 1320 Pacific time after striking powerlines while on final approach to Killkarney Lake. Neither the Commercial pilot nor his two passengers were injured. Visual conditions prevailed. The pilot subsequently reported that he flew over the area at approximately 500 feet AGL before attempting to land. While on final approach, the airplane was at approximately 50 feet AGL when he saw the wires. The pilot reported that he immediately added full power to raise the nose when the top wire went over the top of the floats, catching the float struts. The pilot stated that the wire broke off the right side but was still entangled on the left side, pulling the airplane down. The pilot reported that he then pulled the nose up before impacting the water.

August 14, 2004, Paradise Key, Fla.
Cessna U206B

At about 1451 Eastern time, the airplane was ditched into the water in the Dry Tortugas National Park, Fla. Visual conditions prevailed. The Airline Transport pilot and three passengers received minor injuries; one passenger received fatal injuries. The flight was conducted to film islands in the Dry Tortugas. As the flight progressed and was in the area of Fort Jefferson, the engine sputtered and ceased operating. The pilot was able to get the engine operating again, but about three minutes later it stopped and did not restart. Everyone aboard was able to egress the airplane except for one passenger, who had asked that a rope be tied around him so that he would not fall out of the airplane while filming through the airplanes open doorway. The airplane sank in about 50 feet of water.

August 17, 2004, Tulsa, Okla.
Cessna T210L

The airplane was destroyed at about 1712 Central time when it spun to the ground and subsequently burned near Richard Lloyd Jones Jr. Airport (RVS). The Instrument-rated Private pilot and his two passengers were fatally injured. Visual conditions prevailed for the cross-country flight that was originating at the time. ATC tower recordings indicate that the pilot was cleared for takeoff at 1710. Approximately 100 seconds later the pilot reported the he had oil on his windscreen and would like to return to the airport. A witness later said that the accident airplane leveled off at approximately 300 feet, slowed, and made a right turn to return to the airport. He said that it rotated to the right of a turn and impacted the ground. Post-accident examination revealed that the engines yellow oil cap was not on its filling neck.

August 20, 2004, Clarkson, N.Y.
Piper PA-31P

At 1334 Eastern time the airplane collided with terrain and was destroyed during a forced landing. The Airline Transport pilot was fatally injured at the conclusion of the positioning flight that originated in Batavia, New York (3G8), approximately 10 minutes earlier. The flights purpose was to return the airplane to its home base in Rochester, N.Y., after an annual inspection and reinstalling the right engine following repair. Shortly before the crash, at 1332:06, the pilot announced that he had lost an engine and requested vectors back to Batavia. At 1332:20, the pilot said he could not reach Batavia and opted to land at the Ledgedale Airport (7G0) in Brockport, N.Y. At 1334:01, the pilot said, I dont think Im going to make Ledgedale. At that time, the airplanes radar target displayed about 97 knots groundspeed and an altitude of 1100 feet MSL. Over the next 31 seconds, the radar target decreased to 87 knots groundspeed and descended to 700 feet msl, about 350 feet AGL, before the last target was recorded. Several witnesses observed the airplane. They described the engine sound as rough and cutting in and out. Some witnesses said they saw the airplane just above the trees with the wings perpendicular to the ground before it descended out of view and the sounds of impact were heard. The right engine oil filter was removed and disassembled. The paper filter element was unraveled and contained ferrous and non-ferrous metal particles. The oil suction screen was removed and it contained pieces of ferrous and non-ferrous metal.

August 28, 2004, Prescott, Ariz.
American Champion 8KCAB and American Champion 8KCAB

The two aircraft collided in midair at about 0840 Mountain time while performing formation aerobatics and were destroyed. The Commercial pilot and Airline Transport pilot flying the two airplanes were fatally injured. Both were on the faculty of the nearby Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Visual conditions prevailed for the flights, the purpose of which was to practice an aerobatic routine. Witnesses in the area reported that the two airplanes had been practicing aerobatics in the area for about a week and they had become familiar with the routine. They indicated that the airplanes had completed the routine and were setting up for a second run through the routine when the accident occurred. One witness about 250 yards south of the accident site stated that the airplanes had made a dive, recovered, and then pulled straight up wing tip to wing tip. As the airplanes fell to the left the wings touched, and then the tails connected. Another witness about mile north of the accident site stated the airplanes did a stall/spin maneuver and pulled out low to the ground. The witness believed that prior to the collision, he saw one aircraft in front of the other. The rear airplane then collided with the other airplane.

Also With This Article
“August Accident Totals”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here